Birkenstocks have become a symbol of fashion and comfort over the years, with many people choosing them as their go-to shoe. But what about when you need to wear them in wet conditions? Do Birkenstocks get wet? The answer is yes, but there are both pros and cons to wearing them in wet conditions. On the one hand, Birkenstocks are made from waterproof materials and will keep your feet dry. On the other hand, getting them wet can cause the cork to swell, which can cause them to become uncomfortable and can also cause permanent damage. In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of wearing Birkenstocks in wet conditions, so you can make an informed decision about when it’s best to wear them.
Can Birkenstocks Get Wet?
Yes, Birkenstocks can get wet without any problem. They’re designed to be durable and able to withstand moisture. The cork footbed is waterproof and the leather upper is treated with a synthetic coating to keep water out, so you don’t need to worry about your Birkenstocks getting ruined if they get wet.
Overview Of Birkenstocks
- Birkenstocks are a type of sandal that was first designed in Germany in the late 1700s. The shoes feature a cork footbed and a leather or synthetic upper, making them extremely comfortable and supportive. They are also known for their arch support, which helps to reduce foot fatigue and discomfort.
- Birkenstocks are a type of sandal or clog that has been popular for decades as a comfortable, easy-to-wear choice for people who want to dress comfortably. The design of Birkenstocks is typically a single piece of leather or other fabric wrapped around the foot and held together with a buckle.
- The shoes are usually made from a leather upper and cork footbed and are available in a wide variety of colors and styles. Birkenstocks are named after the river birch tree, the bark of which is used to make the footbeds. The shoe has become a fashion statement, with many celebs wearing them, which has led to many people wearing them as a fashion statement and not because of their comfort or ease of wear.
How To Protect Your Birkenstocks From Water Damage?
1. Pre-Treat Your Birkenstocks with a Water-Repellant Spray
Pre-treating your shoes before wearing them in the rain or walking through puddles is an easy way to protect your shoes from water damage. There are a variety of sprays on the market that are designed to help repel water and keep your shoes looking their best. Before you wear your Birkenstocks in the rain, spray them with a water-repellant spray. This will help minimize the amount of water that gets inside your shoes. When you do this, you can help protect your shoes from things like mildew and other water-based stains. This is especially important if you live in a humid climate where you’re likely to encounter more water.
2. Invest in Quality Waterproof Shoes
Birkenstocks are a stylish and classic choice, but they aren’t necessarily waterproof. While most waterproof shoes don’t have the same flair or style as Birkenstocks, investing in a pair of quality waterproof shoes is a great way to protect your Birkenstocks from water damage. When you invest in a quality pair of waterproof shoes, you can help protect your Birkenstocks and keep them looking their best. Plus, if you have another pair of shoes that you want to keep dry, investing in a pair of waterproof shoes can be a great choice. When choosing waterproof shoes, it’s important to look for a waterproof breathability rating of at least 10,000. This will indicate how much water the shoes will repel while allowing your foot to breathe. When you invest in a quality pair of waterproof shoes, you can help protect your Birkenstocks and keep them looking their best. Plus, waterproof shoes are great for year-round wear and will last you for many years to come.
3. Wear Waterproof Socks
While Birkenstocks are stylish shoes, they aren’t necessarily waterproof and won’t protect your feet from water damage. Wearing a pair of waterproof socks, however, is an easy way to protect your feet from the water. There are a variety of great waterproof socks on the market that are designed to repel water and keep your feet dry. When you wear a pair of waterproof socks, you can help protect your feet from things like mildew and other water-based stains. This is especially important if you live in a humid climate where you’re likely to encounter more water. When you wear a pair of waterproof socks, you can help protect your Birkenstocks and keep them looking their best. You can also use waterproof socks as an added layer underneath your waterproof shoes if you need a bit more protection.
4. Carry a Small Umbrella
While this isn’t the best protection for your Birkenstocks, it’s an easy way to keep them protected from water damage. If you’re walking through a puddle and need to protect your Birkenstocks from water damage, carry a small umbrella. This is an easy and quick way to keep your Birkenstocks protected from water damage. Plus, if you’re wearing waterproof socks, you can use an umbrella to keep your feet dry. This is an easy and practical way to keep your Birkenstocks protected from water damage. If you need to protect your Birkenstocks from water damage, carrying a small umbrella is a great way to do so.
5. Clean and Dry Your Shoes Right Away
When your Birkenstocks get wet, it’s important to clean and dry them as soon as possible. Waiting to dry your shoes will encourage mold and mildew to grow inside them and can cause more damage than good. Once your shoes are wet, it’s important to clean and dry them right away. This will help protect your shoes from mildew and other water-based stains. It’s also important to clean and dry your shoes before they dry completely. If you wait to clean them, the water will have a chance to stain your shoes and may be harder to remove. When you clean and dry your shoes right away, you can help protect your Birkenstocks and keep them looking their best. It’s important to note that you should always clean your shoes with water and soap. Spraying them with water may cause them to dry unevenly and will likely cause more harm than good.
Pros Of Wearing Birkenstocks In Wet Conditions
- The biggest pro of wearing Birkenstocks in wet conditions is that your feet will stay dry.
- If you’re wearing formal shoes, this may not be something you can expect.
- If you end up walking through puddles, your feet will stay dry because the water will be stopped by the waterproof materials in the shoe.
- This is particularly important in extreme weather conditions like rain and snow, where the water can cause your feet to get wet and cold.
- If you have open-toed shoes or sandals, water may end up getting inside them and getting your feet wet.
Cons Of Wearing Birkenstocks In Wet Conditions
- The biggest con of wearing a Birkenstock in wet conditions is that the cork footbed can swell if it gets wet.
- This can make the shoe uncomfortable and cause your foot to lose its proper alignment, which can lead to foot pain and long-term damage.
- It can also cause permanent damage to the footbed, making it necessary to replace your Birkenstocks.
- In extreme weather conditions, you may need to take your shoes off during a rain shower and let them dry out.
Birkenstocks are a great choice if you need to wear shoes in wet conditions. The waterproof materials will help keep your feet dry, which can be particularly important in extreme weather conditions like rain and snow. However, the cork footbed can swell when it gets wet, causing the shoe to become uncomfortable and causing long-term damage to the footbed. However, you can prevent this from happening by making sure your shoes are fully dry before you store them away and buying a shoe protector to put inside them if you expect them to get wet.