Have you ever posted a video on TikTok, only to find that it didn’t get the usual influx of views, likes, and comments? If so, you may be shadowbanned. Shadowbanning is a practice used by social media platforms like TikTok to limit or hide content from a user’s followers without notifying them of the action. If you’re wondering if you’ve been shadowbanned, this comprehensive guide can help you find out. We’ll look at the different ways shadowbanning works on TikTok, and how you can check if you’re affected by it. We’ll also discuss some tips for avoiding shadowbanning in the future. With this guide, you’ll be able to determine if you’ve been shadowbanned and take steps to keep your content visible on TikTok.
How To Know If You’re Shadowbanned On TikTok?
- Decreased Engagement – If you notice that your engagement is significantly lower than normal, it’s possible that you’ve been shadowbanned. TikTok has a system in place that detects and reduces the number of likes, views, and comments that your posts receive. If your content is flagged and determined to be inappropriate, it will receive a reduced number of likes and views. If your engagement has decreased by a significant amount, it could be a sign that your account has been shadowbanned.
- Your Content Appears in Search Results – If your content is still being posted to TikTok, but you can’t see it, it’s likely that you’ve been shadowbanned. If your account has been flagged, your posts will still appear in search results, but you won’t be able to see them. This is a clear sign that your account has been shadowbanned.
- Your Videos Don’t Appear in the “For You” Feed – If your playlists don’t show up in the “For You” feed anymore, it’s possible that you’ve been shadowbanned. The “For You” feed is a section in TikTok’s feed where the app recommends videos to you that it thinks you’d enjoy. If your account has been flagged, your playlists will no longer be featured in the “For You” feed. This is a clear sign that your account has been shadowbanned.
- Your Videos Don’t Appear in Hashtags – If your videos aren’t being featured in hashtags anymore, it’s possible that you’ve been shadowbanned. TikTok allows users to feature their posts in different hashtags. If your account has been flagged, your posts won’t be featured in hashtags anymore. This is a clear sign that your account has been shadowbanned.
- Your Videos Aren’t Recommended – If your videos aren’t being recommended to other users anymore, it’s possible that you’ve been shadowbanned. TikTok features videos from some of their top creators in their “For You” feed, as well as on the Explore page. If your account has been flagged, your videos will no longer be featured on either page. This is a clear sign that your account has been shadowbanned.
How Does Shadowbanning Work On TikTok?
- A shadowban on TikTok works by limiting the reach of your content. If you have been shadowbanned on TikTok, your content won’t show up on your followers’ feeds. Your content won’t appear on the feeds of anyone following you, and your content won’t show up in the feeds of people who don’t follow you.
- This means that while you can still post content, other people won’t be able to see it. Shadowbanning is a common form of moderation used by TikTok to limit spam and other types of content that violate the platform’s terms of service.
- TikTok uses a combination of algorithms and human moderation to detect and remove content that violates its terms. This content includes a wide range of things, including nudity, sexual content, spam, and hate speech.
- TikTok’s goal is to ensure that everyone on the platform can use it without being disturbed, so they use moderation to keep the platform safe and civil.
Why Your Content May Be Shadowbanned
- Shadowbanning is often a result of spamming or posting inappropriate content on TikTok. This means that your content may be shadowbanned if it includes nudity, sexual content, spam, or hate speech.
- It’s important to note that TikTok doesn’t notify users when they’ve been shadowbanned. This means that if you’re not sure what you did to trigger the action, you can’t correct it.
- TikTok’s moderation system is designed to be as automated as possible. As such, TikTok may be able to detect and remove your content before you even realize that it’s been removed.
Tips For Avoiding Shadowbanning In The Future
- If you want to avoid being shadowbanned on TikTok, there are a few things you can do. First, try to avoid posting any content that could be considered inappropriate.
- TikTok has a comprehensive list of prohibited content, so be sure to read up on it before posting. You should also be aware of your audience.
- This means that if you have a younger audience, you should watch what you post. If you’re careful with what you post, you shouldn’t have any issues.
- If you do find that you’ve been shadowbanned, you can try reinstating your account. To do this, you’ll need to appeal the moderation decision.
- Be sure to read TikTok’s terms of service before doing so, though.
What To Do If You Are Shadowbanned?
- If you’ve been shadowbanned on TikTok, there isn’t really much you can do. If you appeal the moderation decision, you may be able to reinstate your account, but it’s not guaranteed.
- The best thing you can do if you’ve been shadowbanned on TikTok is to avoid spamming and posting inappropriate content.
- You may also want to consider using a TikTok-specific tool or AI (Artificial Intelligence) to post content.
- These tools are designed to ensure that your content is in line with TikTok’s terms of service and will help you avoid being shadowbanned.
How To Fix A Shadowban?
- If you find that you’ve been shadowbanned on TikTok, it’s important to address the issue as soon as possible. TikTok has a strict moderation team that reviews content and accounts carefully.
- If your account has been flagged, there’s a good chance it’ll stay flagged, even if you make changes to your content. With that said, there are a few steps you can take to try to fix a shadowban:
- Clean Up Your Account – One of the easiest ways to fix a shadowban is to clean up your account. Make sure that your bio, username, and settings are in line with TikTok’s terms of service. This includes removing any inappropriate or untagged content from your account
- Avoid Spamming – If your account has been flagged for spamming, it can be difficult to get out of shadowbanning. TikTok has a zero-tolerance policy for spamming. To prevent a shadowban, avoid spiking your likes, comments, and follows.
- Be Patient – Unfortunately, TikTok doesn’t provide any information about when a shadowban will come to an end. The moderation team works hard to review and moderate content, but they’re only human. It can take days, weeks, or even months for your account to be fully reviewed.
Now you know what shadowbanning is on TikTok, as well as how to know if you’ve been shadowbanned, and how to fix a shadowban. While TikTok’s moderation team has every right to ban users from their platform, the process could be improved. If you’ve been shadowbanned on TikTok, TikTok could be more transparent about its moderation process. TikTok could also help users avoid shadowbanning by providing guidance on how to avoid being banned.