When you think about it, the phrase “love handles” is a little strange. Why are those rolls of fat on your midsection nicknamed after an expression of affection? It seems like an odd choice. Unfortunately, we can’t ask the person who first labeled fat around the waist as love handles why they chose that name. However, there’s probably some logical reasoning behind it. These days, almost everyone knows what love handle refers to. But how many people know why this body part is called so? Perhaps you too have wondered why are love handles called love handles…
Why Are Love Handles Called Love Handles?
Love handles are named because they are easy to grab. They also provide a comfortable place to rest your hands. The term “love handle” is a bit of a misnomer, as they don’t necessarily indicate someone’s love life or their ability to attract others. Rather, they are two areas on either side of the hips that give the appearance of a woman’s curvy figure. They contribute to the hourglass figure many strive to achieve.
What Do Love Handles Look Like?
1. Love handles are the flabby fat that accumulates around the waistline, especially in men. There are two different types of fat in the body. Subcutaneous fat is the fat that you can pinch between your fingers, while visceral fat is the fat that you can’t pinch between your fingers.
2. Visceral fat is the dangerous fat that collects around your organs and can cause all kinds of health problems. It’s the kind of fat that you want to get rid of, especially if it’s around your midsection.
3. Visceral fat is the fat that you want to get rid of, especially if it’s around your midsection. Subcutaneous fat is the fat that you can pinch between your fingers. Love handles are the subcutaneous fat that you pinch between your fingers, usually around the lower part of your abdomen.
How Did We Get “Love Handles”?
- The first mention of love handles is found in the book, Pygmalion, written by George Bernard Shaw in 1914. It was described as a “roll of fat on each side of the loin.” The image of love handles is also found in the 16th-century painting Venus with Cupid by an Italian artist, Titian.
- The term was later used in the 1930s when the Great Depression affected many parts of the United States. The popularity of the term “love handles” rose again in the 1980s when belly fat became a problem among middle-aged people. Love handles are more common in men since they have a higher percentage of body fat.
Fitness Tips For Curbing The Love Handles?
- Eat a Balanced Diet: Eat a balanced diet that includes protein, fruits, and vegetables. Also, avoid overeating and drinking too much alcohol, both of which lead to weight gain.
- Exercise: Exercise is one of the best ways to build muscle and shed fat. It also increases your metabolism, which helps you lose weight.
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking plenty of water keeps you hydrated and helps you stay fit.
- Sleep: A lack of sleep can affect your hormones and increase your appetite.
- Stay Positive: Focus on your goals and stay motivated. Don’t let anyone bring you down.
What’s Causing Those Love Handles?
1. Excess Calories and Body Fat
The number one reason why anyone gets love handles is because of their diet. If you’re eating more calories than you’re burning off every day, your body stores those excess calories as fat. And since love handles are often just a layer of fat, if you have a lot of body fat all over your body, you’re more likely to have love handles. On the other hand, if you’re fit and have very little body fat, then you’re less likely to have love handles even if you eat a lot because there won’t be much fat to store it in. So if you want to avoid love handles, the first thing you need to do is control your diet and make sure you’re not eating more calories than you’re burning off.
We all know how much of a role genetics plays in a person’s life. From how tall they are to what their skin color is, to the color of their hair and eyes, a lot of it is down to our genetics. And unfortunately, there are some genes that make you more likely to have love handles than others. If you have a parent or sibling who has love handles, then you have a higher chance of getting them yourself. Not all of it is genetic though. If you have a parent or sibling who is extremely slim, but you still have love handles, then it’s probably due to your diet. So if you have a parent or sibling who has love handles, then you’re more likely to get them too. But if you have a parent or sibling who is slim and has no love handles, then you’re probably going to be like them and have none either.
3. Lack of Exercise
If you have a very active lifestyle and always exercise regularly, then you’re less likely to have love handles. That’s because exercise burns calories, and without those extra calories, your body has no choice but to store them as fat instead. And love handles are often just a layer of fat. On the other hand, if you have a very inactive lifestyle that doesn’t involve much exercise, then you’re more likely to have love handles even if you eat a healthy diet. That’s because when you eat calories, your body stores almost all of them as fat. So if you want to avoid love handles, you need to make sure you’re getting plenty of exercise every day. And make sure you’re not just exercising your legs or upper body either. You need to make your whole body stronger, so your diet doesn’t add extra fat to your love handles.
Some people seem to have love handles no matter what they do, while others never seem to get them. What’s the difference between the two types of people? Well, for starters, men are more likely to have love handles than women. And most of that is thanks to the hormones in our bodies. Both men and women have estrogen and progesterone in their bodies, but men have much more testosterone and a smaller amount of estrogen. Estrogen is what causes women to store extra fat around their waists and thighs. On the other hand, women have a lower amount of progesterone and a higher amount of testosterone in their bodies. Men have a higher amount of progesterone and a smaller amount of testosterone. So men are more likely to get love handles around their waists due to the higher levels of progesterone in their bodies. Women, on the other hand, are more likely to get love handles around their thighs due to the higher levels of estrogen in their bodies.
As we get older, our bodies seem to change in many ways. Many of us find our metabolism starts to slow down, and we find it harder to lose weight as we get older. That can also lead to love handles forming around your waist. And if you already have a lot of body fat, then it’s only going to get worse as you age. That’s why you’ll often find love handles forming in people in their mid-30s, 40s, and 50s. And while you might be able to get rid of them as a teenager or young adult, they may come back when you’re older. The only way to stop them is to cut back on your calorie intake and make sure you’re getting plenty of exercise.
Where Does The Term “Love Handle” Come From?
1. Nobody knows for certain where the phrase “love handle” came from or why it’s associated with the lower region of the waist. However, there are a few theories about the origin of the term.
2. One theory is that love handles come from the idea that a woman with love handles is “too hot to handle.” Another theory is that love handles come from the idea that a woman with love handles is “tied to you with a heartstring.”
3. Another theory is that love handles come from the idea that a woman with love handles is carrying around someone else’s child.
Love handles are an unfortunately common problem for many people. While these rolls of fat aren’t necessarily dangerous, they can make you feel bad about yourself. Luckily, they are easy to get rid of! All you have to do is eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly. If you do that, you’ll be well on your way to getting rid of your love handles.