As a driver, your job can be challenging. Sometimes you might experience overly sensitive drivers or those who are overly entitled. As an Uber driver, you will not only have to deal with these situations but also with people calling the cops on you for ridiculous reasons. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the most ridiculous reasons that riders have called the police on their Uber drivers.
Why Uber Call Police?
The police in the United States are trained to respond to and investigate crimes. They provide security for public events and protect public officials. The police also investigate crimes and can make arrests. In 2018, Uber was in the news for sending an all-male team of private investigators to follow a female journalist as she rode with Uber drivers across the country. The private investigators attempted to gain access to her travel records to follow her trail, despite her refusal to provide them with such information. The journalist expressed feeling terrified the company could learn where she lived and followed her on such trips.
Because The Passenger Was Too Drunk
- Drivers have been arrested and charged with DUI after passengers called the cops on them for being excessively drunk. The passengers often are too drunk to decide this because they’ve lost the ability to make reasonable judgments.
- Drunk passengers increase the risk of physical altercations between the passenger and the driver. You may need to call the police to protect yourself from a drunk passenger—or someone too drunk to make an autonomous decision. Many people assume that smoking marijuana in an Uber is illegal, but you can smoke marijuana in an Uber.
- However, if you get extremely high, it may be best to wait until you are home or at a friend’s house. If the driver asks you to put out the joint, then comply with his or her request. If the driver asks you not to smoke marijuana in the car, then don’t do it and wait until you are off of work before lighting up your joint. Maybe they got fired from their job or maybe they got dumped by their significant other.
- Sometimes people just have bad days and they want to take it out on someone else. A lot of times these people will want an explanation and want their money back without explaining why they want this refunded from their driver.
Because They Felt Unsafe Due To A Blind Spot
- Blind spots are a very real thing. Sometimes these blind spots can be caused by the car model or even the sun. Although your driver may have had a wonderful record of safe driving, on that day they might’ve had trouble seeing you in the rearview mirror. If a driver is aware of their blind spot, they can try to always check the rearview mirror and make sure that it is clear before pulling away from the curb.
- Blind spots can be larger than you think and if there’s an object in that blind spot, then you as a passenger will not be able to see it either. It might take some time for your eyes to adjust so you don’t suddenly become afraid when you notice an object in what should be a space.
- Sometimes people will call 911 because their taxi didn’t have electric windows and they wanted to put down the window for ventilation at the time of arrival at their destination or if it was cold outside during winter time and wanted someone else to do it for them. A lot of times, people just want free things so they call emergency services after becoming dissatisfied with getting charged money for something they do not want to pay for such as opening up a window or closing down a window/blowing down air conditioning while on hot days/cold air inside during winter season or something along those lines but these services are not free no matter how much Uber drivers try to refuse money from riders who ask for these services. And sometimes it is not about the money, and usually for sure that it ain’t about the money when the rider is too cheap to even tip their Uber driver.
- Because they were too intoxicated and/or smelled of alcohol or another drug (s) -If you are drunk, ask your driver if it’s okay to have one or two drinks before you get into their car. Usually, a driver will say no because they are just doing their job. You should respect that answer, not try to argue with them, and understand that they don’t want to lose their job, certificate and livelihood over something as trivial as one or two drinks before getting into a car with someone who is intoxicated.
- If you are planning on doing drugs while in the vehicle, then simply wait till you arrive at your destination before trying any such substances so that you do not put yourself at risk of being arrested by police while driving behind an impaired driver/driver who has been smoking marijuana/smoking pot either directly or indirectly via secondhand smoke intake due to secondhand smoke intake’s effects which includes making a person feel high like someone who has done marijuana would feel high after smoking pot either directly or indirectly via secondhand smoke intake ingestion.
Because The Passenger Only Spoke Spanish
- If you live in a Spanish-speaking country and you don’t speak Spanish, then it’s not fair to call an Uber driver and expect them to speak your language fluently when they are at work on the clock trying to make a living for themselves and their family in a different country where they do not have any friends or family members who can read signs for them, tell them when the bathroom is, help them understand why people are telling them what they are telling them, etc.
- If you live in a Spanish-speaking country that has been invaded by non-Spanish speakers who do not want to learn the language of Spanish that live there and want everyone else other than non-Spanish speakers to learn their language instead even though it will be difficult or very difficult because there may be no English sign boards around or people yelling in another language instead of using the Spanish Language so even people who know how to speak both English and Spanish very well would still feel confused in such situations when they see non-Spanish speakers yelling something at random out instead of using our language (the only common language we share amongst ourselves) while they do jobs like yelling at people waiting for an Uber outside/in front of their house/apartment complex etc., then don’t call Uber drivers if all you can do is talk about your food preference(s)/food allergies, etc.
- If you’re an English-speaking person who speaks Spanish with a very heavy accent and you don’t correct your accent, then it’s not fair to call an Uber driver and expect them to speak extra slowly so that it takes twice as long as them to tell you where the pickup location is for example or to list off the pickup locations one by one in slow-motion Spanish until you finally realize which place they are telling you about even though they already said it twice.
- If you’re supposed to be a non-Spanish person, but you act like a Spanish person, then call an Uber driver because of how confusing it would be for a foreign Uber driver if he or she were born in his or her country of origin just like yourself, but he or she has been speaking his/her national language from birth as well as learning another language from birth/early on to function in the world better while still being proud of his/her nationality and ethnicity even with their mother tongue in common with most of their peers.
- If your Uber driver is driving behind someone who is doing something illegal while trying to get away with whatever illegal activities they are trying to commit either directly or indirectly via secondhand smoke inhalation, then take some time off before calling your next Uber ride so that your next driver does not have any distractions while driving that could cause him/her to crash into another vehicle which could lead to serious injury(ies) if not death itself because it could be a life or death situation.
Drivers are often misunderstood, and it’s easy for riders to jump to conclusions without knowing all of the details. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the most ridiculous reasons that riders have called the police on their Uber drivers. If you ever find yourself in one of these situations, try to remember that the rider may not be in their right mind. If a driver does something that makes you uncomfortable, make your complaint to Uber, but try not to get the police involved.