As a teenager, you probably remember hearing ghost stories about creepy places and haunted hotels with hidden passageways that lead to a terrifying basement. If you’re reading this, we can assume you’ve never been so scared that you decided to lock your doors with foil – just in case! Crazy as it may sound, wrapping door locks in foil is a lot more common than you might think. In recent years, households have found new and creative ways to keep unwanted followers out of their homes. Doors are the first line of defense for any residence. Exterior doors are an even stronger wall against intruders because most interior doors don’t lock without some sort of secondary device. If someone wants to get into your home and doesn’t have a key or won’t break through the walls, they will try to find another way in.
Why Wrap Door Locks In Foil When Alone?
If you are feeling unsafe in certain situations, then yes, wrapping your door lock in foil will deter people from breaking into your room. Additionally, wrapping your door lock in foil can also help block out any noise if you are staying in a dorm or shared apartment. If you are in a noisy dorm or apartment, you can wrap your door lock in foil to prevent outside noise from entering your room. To wrap your door lock in foil, simply take a piece of foil and wrap it around your door lock like a mummy. The foil will act as a noise-blocking barrier, as well as a theft-deterring technique.
Why Do People Put Foil On Door Locks?
1. The lock is broken
A broken lock is a very common reason for people to put foil on their door locks. It’s like a safety measure until the lock can be replaced. If the lock is broken, people will be less likely to break into the room. And on the other hand, your broken lock will make you feel more comfortable knowing that you have a harder time getting in while your lock is being fixed. If you’re living with roommates who don’t know about the broken lock, be sure to put foil on your door lock as a precaution. You might not want your roommates to know that the lock is broken until it’s fixed, so putting some foil on your door lock is a good idea.
2. People want added privacy
There are some people out there who just want added privacy. Maybe there are certain items in your room that you want to keep private from your roommates. Or maybe you just want to be alone to focus on your studies without being disturbed by your friends. Putting foil on your door lock is an easy way to increase privacy in your room. Just be extra careful if someone is trying to open your door. They might rip off the foil and see that it’s just covering the lock. You don’t want your roommates to get the wrong idea and think you are doing something secretive. Be sure to explain why you put foil on your door and they will most likely understand. If you have a roommate with a habit of entering your room without permission, then putting foil on your door lock is a good idea. Make sure to let your roommate know that you put foil on the door because you want added privacy.
3. Roommates keep entering their room
Some people have a habit of entering their room even when they don’t need to. Perhaps there is something in their room that you want to keep private, but your roommate keeps going inside your room. If this is happening to you, then putting foil on your door lock is the best thing to do. Your roommate will realize that you put foil on the lock for a reason. It’s a very clear sign that you want some privacy and doesn’t want them to go inside your room. If your roommate keeps entering your room even after you’ve put foil on your door lock, then it’s time to talk to them.
4. Someone has a habit of losing their keys
This is a very common reason why people put foil on their door lock. If you have a roommate who constantly loses their keys, it’s a good idea to put foil on the door. Make sure that you don’t put foil on the inside of the door lock, or else it won’t be able to open. You must put the foil on the outside. If you have a roommate who loses their keys often, they will understand that they can’t get in. This will help everyone to avoid awkward situations because your roommate will have to knock on every door to ask for the key. It’s a good idea to put foil on the door lock of your roommates if they are often losing their keys because you don’t want them to disturb others.
How To Install Foil On Your Door Locks?
- To foil your door locks, you will need a roll of aluminum foil, a pair of scissors, and a few strips of duct tape. Once you have these items, you can begin the installation process by separating the door lock from the door. To do this, open the door and place a strip of duct tape on the edge of the door where the lock is attached.
- This will act as a separator and allow you to pull the lock away from the door. Once you have the lock separated from the door, flatten out a piece of aluminum foil and wrap it around the door lock.
- If needed, you can use a pair of scissors to cut the foil to make it fit your lock. Once the foil is in place, wrap it with another piece of duct tape to hold it in place.
Does Wrapping Your Door Lock In Foil Actually Work?
- This is the million-dollar question and the most important thing to consider when deciding whether or not you should foil your door locks. Actually, wrapping a door lock with foil has been proven as an ineffective way to keep unwanted people out of your home since the 1980s.
- This actually makes a lot of sense since aluminum foil is a great conductor of electricity and has a very low resistance. It is also very fragile and easy to tear. A more effective way to foil your door locks is to wrap the entire door frame in aluminum foil.
- This will prevent electromagnetic fields from entering or escaping your home while still allowing radio waves, sound, and visible light to pass through without any interference. The only downside to foiling your door frame is that it’s a little more time-consuming and isn’t as practical as using foil on the door lock.
Pros Of Installing Foiled Door Locks
- They are cheap and easy to make.
- They can be used to keep out pests.
- They can also be used to keep noises out or noises from escaping your home.
- They can help you keep track of intruders and trespassers.
- They can help prevent electromagnetic fields from disrupting electronics.
Cons Of Installing Foiled Door Locks
- They are ineffective at preventing unwanted guests from entering your home.
- They are easily torn and will only last a few weeks before they need to be replaced.
- They aren’t very durable and can be knocked off easily.
- They can be seen as a fire hazard and should only be used in extreme cases.
- They can be very messy and annoying to install.
- They are highly visible and a clear sign that you don’t trust the people around you.
- They can be dangerous for children and pets.
Doors are the first line of defense in every home and are especially important if you live in a high-traffic area. If someone wants to get into your home and doesn’t have a key or won’t break through the walls, they will try to find another way in. Maintaining your door locks is critical to the security of your home. A faulty lock can be picked or broken with minimal effort. If you notice any damage or defects in your locks, it’s a good idea to call for professional help.